Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's going to be a long three nights.

So, It's pretty fair to say that I am a very strict mother.

I am also a very loving, very tender caring mother.

And there is where the problem lies. Anabell used to sleep just fine, thanks very much. We'd bathe her, feed her, and rock her and then put her to sleep. And then every two hours she'd wake up, we'd feed her, change her, and then rock her back to sleep.

And so on and so fourth. WELL. At the last doctor's visit our doctor advised us that Anabell no longer needs her night time feedings and should be getting a full night of sleep....without waking up. She suggested a cereal bottle before bed and that it should work.

We are terribly terrible parents. You guys, I just NEED your support here! First, Anabell hates the cereal bottle, but loves to eat a bowl of the same thing, as long as it's spoon fed. Am I wrong to try  this? Ok, now, yesterday we were really bad parents and I let her nap with me and fall asleep in our bed last night. I am not a fan of co sleeping as Rudy unintentionally sleeps ON Anabell at least once a night... it's just... scary to me. I don't want her to die or something. 

So, usually for naps around here, I see that she gets tired and I set her in her bed, turn on the soother and leave. She's usually out in minutes. NOT TODAY. Oh no, y'all. She woke up 2 hours early, thanks to cosleeping and would NOT go to sleep. SHE JUST WENT DOWN FOR HER NAP. And it was terrible. She would scream and scream and scream, I'd wait five minutes, go check on her and as SOON as I looked in on her in her crib she'd laugh and smile. She was more than fine. She just...didn't want to go to sleep. 

Well, finally, I'd soothe her in her crib, without picking her up, turn on the soother thingy again, and leave. Crying would commense, I'd wait five minutes, go check, etc. It took 30 minutes of this to get her to fall asleep.

Lesson learned.  I  am SUCH a strict parent that I firmly believe that All bad habits can be broken in three days. It may be a very long three days, but one can accomplish this. So far, it's worked. Wish me luck, y'all. She's got to learn how to put herself to sleep and stay asleep through the night.

My gosh, I can only hope that my wait five minutes method works because I seriously hate the whole concept of CIO. Five minutes is like forever in Anabell's terms... I just can't leave her there.... 

Ugh, thoughts, opinions? Help!


I reserve the right to delete any comments that are offensive, malicious, or rude.

1 comment:

  1. You are not a terrible parent. I can't offer practical advice, but you're totally rocking this.

    Best of luck, my dear!

    ReplyDelete